Mythic™ Portora Elephant Ears Alocasia hybrid
Select any icon above to view the complete collection.
Learn more about Proven Winners® leafjoy™ houseplants
Low - No direct sun, not near a window. Medium - Medium bright indirect light in the AM or PM, typically from an east or west window. High - Bright direct or indirect light for much of the day, typically from a south window.
When grown outdoors this plant can reach mammoth proportions (6 to 8 feet outdoors, but smaller indoors). The arrow-shaped leaves are huge with tons of texture, and point straight upwards. If you have a spot to allow this plant room to grow it will be an absolute WOW!Adaptable As HouseplantFoliage InterestHarmful To:Pets
CharacteristicsPlant Type:HouseplantHeight Category:TallHeight:24 - 72 InchesFoliage Colors:GreenFoliage Shade:Emerald GreenHabit:UprightContainer Role:Thriller
Plant NeedsLight Requirement:HighLight Requirement:MediumMaintenance Category:ModeratePreferred Temperature:60 - 85 °FWater Category:AverageHumidity Preference:HighContainer Soil Type:Indoor Potting MixNeeds Good DrainageUses:Bright SpacesUses:DesktopsUses:Humid SpacesUses Notes:
Not for human or animal consumption.Maintenance Notes:
- For optimal performance, keep at 60-85°F (15-29°C).
- Feed once per month at half strength when plant is actively growing.
- Protect furniture when watering.
- This Alocasia needs sunshine for best growth, so give your plant the sunniest spot you can indoors. You may need to use a grow light during dark winter months, or move them to a sunnier window during that time.
- It prefers to be consistently moist, but not wet and needs to have good drainage. It can't take wet soil, but also doesn't tolerate dry soils well. A well draining soil is necessary and the plant should not be allowed to sit in water. Allow the top inch or so to dry out before watering again.
- All-purpose potting mixes with additional orchid bark and perlite added is a beneficial medium for Alocasias.
- It is happiest when grown between 60 and 85 degrees.
- Alocasias also would appreciate higher humidity, so break out that humidifier.
- If your plant drops it's leaves don't give up. (These plants like very consistent conditions overall when it comes to watering, temperature, and light.) Alocasias grow from bulb-like corms and can sprout new leaves under the right conditions.
15 More in this series