Chroma™ Robusta Rubber Plant Ficus elastica
Select any icon above to view the complete collection.
Learn more about Proven Winners® leafjoy™ houseplants
Low - No direct sun, not near a window. Medium - Medium bright indirect light in the AM or PM, typically from an east or west window. High - Bright direct or indirect light for much of the day, typically from a south window.
The classic Ficus elastica 'Robusta' is a staple in any houseplant collection. This tree is often abused indoors and kept in conditions that are much too dim. The truth is that these plants need bright light to thrive. In nature they can reach giant proportions. Under good care, don't be surprised when your plant reaches your ceiling and you'll have to prune it back. The dark green, glossy foliage is a delight!Adaptable As HouseplantFoliage InterestHarmful To:Pets
CharacteristicsPlant Type:HouseplantHeight Category:TallHeight:48 - 120 InchesFoliage Colors:GreenFoliage Shade:Glossy, dark greenHabit:UprightContainer Role:Thriller
Plant NeedsLight Requirement:HighLight Requirement:MediumMaintenance Category:ModeratePreferred Temperature:60 - 85 °FWater Category:AverageHumidity Preference:MediumHumidity Preference:HighContainer Soil Type:Indoor Potting MixNeeds Good DrainageUses:Bright SpacesUses:DesktopsUses Notes:
Not for human or animal consumption.Maintenance Notes:
- For optimal performance, keep at 60-85°F (15-29°C).
- Protect furniture when watering.
- Feed once per month at half strength when plant is actively growing.
- If you would like a bushier plant, prune your plant to promote branching. The plant exudes a white, milky sap when pruned or broken, so if your skin comes in contact with it, wash your hands immediately.
- These are NOT low light plants and need to be right in front of a window for best results. Some direct sun is beneficial (east or west window) and they can even grow in your sunniest window.
- Allow the top 2-3 inches of soil to dry out before watering again.
- Use a well-draining potting mix. Adding perlite and orchid bark will improve drainage.
- Never allow to sit in standing water.
- As with any Ficus, avoid any drafty areas and avoid placing near cooling and heating vents or the plant may drop its leaves.
- The broad leaves will get very dusty, so use a duster to clean the leaves, wipe with a damp sponge, or rinse the leaves off.