Living Lace™ Tricolor Painted Brake Fern Pteris quadriaurita
Select any icon above to view the complete collection.
Learn more about Proven Winners® leafjoy® houseplants
This colorful tropical fern (pronounced "terrace") produces new fronds that are shiny and reddish in color, mellowing to bronze and finally to dark green as they mature. Often, all three colors are present on the plant at once. It combines nicely with red and purple coral bells in outdoor patio containers during the summertime, and can be brought indoors and grown as a houseplant once temperatures dip below 55 degrees.Adaptable As HouseplantFoliage InterestHarmful To:Pets
CharacteristicsPlant Type:HouseplantHeight Category:MediumHeight:12 - 24 InchesFoliage Colors:GreenFoliage Shade:Red and bronze maturing to dark greenHabit:MoundedContainer Role:Filler
Plant NeedsLight Requirement:LowLight Requirement:Medium
Low - No direct sun, not near a window. Medium - Medium bright indirect light in the AM or PM, typically from an east or west window. High - Bright direct or indirect light for much of the day, typically from a south window.Maintenance Category:ModeratePreferred Temperature:60 - 85 °FWater Category:WetHumidity Preference:HighContainer Soil Type:Indoor Potting MixNeeds Good DrainageUses:Humid SpacesUses:Low Light SpacesUses Notes:
Not for human or animal consumption.Maintenance Notes:
- For optimal performance, keep at 60-85°F (15-29°C).
- Prefers higher humidity to prevent leaf edges from browning.
- Feed once per month at half strength when plant is actively growing.
- Protect furniture when watering.
- Never allow potting mix to dry out completely. This can rapidly cause many brown leaf edges. Water as soon as the surface of the potting mix feels mostly dry.
- Use a well-drained potting mix. Adding some perlite will be beneficial and improve drainage.