Mythic™ Sarian Elephant Ears Alocasia hybrid
Select any icon above to view the complete collection.
Learn more about Proven Winners® leafjoy™ houseplants
Low - No direct sun, not near a window. Medium - Medium bright indirect light in the AM or PM, typically from an east or west window. High - Bright direct or indirect light for much of the day, typically from a south window.
King of the Jungle seems like it might be a good alternative name for this huge plant. In warm climates it can get as tall as 12 feet and individual leaves can reach 5 feet long! For most of us it won't reach these dimensions and it will be substantially smaller when grown indoors. The leaves are deep green with lime colored veins and it has a nice sheen to the leaves. If you are looking for a wow plant, Sarian is a great choice!Adaptable As HouseplantFoliage InterestHarmful To:Pets
CharacteristicsPlant Type:HouseplantHeight Category:TallHeight:36 - 132 InchesFoliage Colors:GreenFoliage Shade:Dark glossy green with lime veinsHabit:UprightContainer Role:Thriller
Plant NeedsLight Requirement:HighLight Requirement:MediumMaintenance Category:ModeratePreferred Temperature:60 - 85 °FWater Category:AverageHumidity Preference:HighContainer Soil Type:Indoor Potting MixNeeds Good DrainageUses:Bright SpacesUses:DesktopsUses:Humid SpacesUses Notes:
Not for human or animal consumption.Maintenance Notes:
- For optimal performance, keep at 60-85°F (15-29°C).
- Feed once per month at half strength when plant is actively growing.
- Protect furniture when watering.
- Alocasia does best with bright indirect light, but will benefit from some early morning or late day sun indoors (right in front of an eastern or western window), particularly during wintertime. You may need to use a grow light during dark winter months, or move them to a sunnier window during that time.
- It prefers to be consistently moist, but not wet and needs to have good drainage. It can't take wet soil, but also doesn't tolerate dry soils well. A well draining soil is necessary and the plant should not be allowed to sit in water. Allow the top inch or so to dry out before watering again.
- All-purpose potting mixes with additional orchid bark and perlite added is a beneficial medium for Alocasias.
- It is happiest when grown between 60 and 85 degrees.
- Alocasias also would appreciate higher humidity, so break out that humidifier.
- If your plant drops it's leaves don't give up. (These plants like very consistent conditions overall when it comes to watering, temperature, and light.) Alocasias grow from bulb-like corms and can sprout new leaves under the right conditions.
15 More in this series