Meet the 2019 Annual of the Year™
Meet one of the most touchable, versatile and easy plants you'll ever grow - Lemon Coral® Sedum. Whether you're planning your container recipes or redoing a garden bed, you'll find a use for this fabulous succulent. Let's take a closer look.
2019 Annual of the Year™
Who wouldn't want a plant that's so worry-free and has such vivid color? Lemon Coral shines brightly from spring through fall with its fun textured, glowing chartreuse to granny smith apple green, succulent foliage.
Lemon Coral plays nicely with others in containers and landscapes without being a bully and won't wilt if you forget to water for a few days. No spent flowers to deal with, no crazy growth to restrain–just plant and enjoy. If only everything in life was so simple!
- Incredibly easy to grow
- Spiky-yet-soft texture
- Bold, fresh color all season
- Grows in full sun and part sun
- Versatile in containers and landscapes
- Plays well with others
- Vigorous, heat tolerant and drought tolerant
- 3-10” tall x 10-14” spread
- Commonly grown as an annual, but is hardy in zones 7-11
Grow Lemon Coral in full sun to part sun in soil that is well-drained. When planting in containers, use a good quality potting soil and make sure there is at least one drainage hole in the bottom of the pot. This is a drought tolerant succulent that does not like its roots to sit in wet soil. Its color will be brightest in full sun.
This is a spreading/trailing plant that will grow to form a small scale groundcover or trail over the sides of your container. It is not a rampant spreader, but if it does grow larger than you'd like it to, simply prune or snap off the parts of the plant you don't want.
How does the Annual of the Year program work?
With so many new plants being introduced each year, picking out the best for your garden can be a mindboggling experience. Gardeners want beautiful plants that will live up to their picture in the catalog, and retailers want to offer reliable plants with which their customers will experience success. With that aim in mind, we created the National Plant of the Year program which includes the Annual of the Year as well as six other categories. (Find them all here.)
The Making of a Champion
The National Plants of the Year are never chosen at random. To reach this highest designation, Proven Winners annuals, perennials and shrubs must meet a strict set of criteria including:
- Easy to Grow - Easy for both growers and gardeners to grow. It shouldn’t take an expert to grow beautiful flowers.
- Iconic - Easily recognizable at a glance, the National Plants of the Year have an iconic style unmatched by lookalikes.
- Readily Available - These plants are easy to find locally or online. We announce the National Plants of the Year well in advance so retailers can be sure to stock their benches with these popular plants.
- Perfect for Baskets and Containers - The Annual of the Year grows beautifully in hanging baskets as well as upright patio containers and window boxes.
- Outstanding Landscape Performance - Not just for containers, these plants also deliver a knockout performance when planted in landscapes.