Meet the 2019 Annual of the Year™
Meet one of the most touchable, versatile and easy plants you'll ever grow - Lemon Coral™ Sedum. Whether you're planning your container recipes or redoing a garden bed, you'll find a use for this fabulous succulent. Let's take a closer look.
2019 Annual of the Year™
For instant color that lasts all season with almost no maintenance, there's nothing better than Lemon Coral. Its glowing yellow to chartreuse, succulent foliage lights up sunny garden beds and containers where it will require little water and will thrive in the heat. Plant it in part shade and it will turn more chartreuse in color and continue its vigorous growth.
The rubbery texture of this spiky textured plant is irresistible, so go ahead and touch! We promise it won't bite back.
- Glowing yellow to chartreuse foliage
- Brightest coloration occurs in full sun, but also grows well in part sun
- Vigorous, heat tolerant and drought tolerant
- Plant in landscapes, raised beds, troughs, upright containers and hanging baskets
- Mounded trailing habit
- Measures 3-10” tall x 10-14” wide
- Commonly grown as an annual, but is hardy in zones 7-11
Grow Lemon Coral in full sun to part sun in soil that is well-drained. When planting in containers, use a good quality potting soil and make sure there is at least one drainage hole in the bottom of the pot. This is a drought tolerant succulent that does not like its roots to sit in wet soil.
This is a spreading/trailing plant that will grow to form a small scale groundcover or trail over the sides of your container. It is not a rampant spreader, but if it does grow larger than you'd like it to, simply prune or snap off the parts of the plant you don't want.
How does the National Plant of the Year program work?
With so many new plants being introduced each year, picking out the best for your garden can be a mindboggling experience. Gardeners want beautiful plants that will live up to their picture in the catalog, and retailers want to offer reliable plants with which their customers will experience success. With that aim in mind, we created the National Plant of the Year program.
The Making of a Champion
The National Plants of the Year are never chosen at random. To reach this highest designation, Proven Winners annuals, perennials and shrubs must meet a strict set of criteria including:
- Easy to Grow - Easy for both growers and gardeners to grow. It shouldn’t take an expert to grow beautiful flowers.
- Iconic - Easily recognizable at a glance, the National Plants of the Year have an iconic style unmatched by lookalikes.
- Readily Available - These plants are easy to find locally or online. We announce the National Plants of the Year well in advance so retailers can be sure to stock their benches with these popular plants.
- Perfect for Baskets and Containers - The Annual of the Year grows beautifully in hanging baskets as well as upright patio containers and window boxes.
- Outstanding Landscape Performance - Not just for containers, these plants also deliver a knockout performance when planted in landscapes.
Gardeners look to Proven Winners for the most outstanding annuals, perennials and shrubs for their gardens. Our National Plant of the Year program highlights and promotes the very best of the brand in all three plant categories. In addition to Lemon Coral, the Annual Plant of the Year, we've expanded our program to include a Hosta, Perennial, Rose, Hydrangea and Flowering Shrub of the Year. Here are the winners for 2019.