Just recently purchased this beautiful plant from my local Home Depot, to use in a photo shoot for my business, and add to the other plants in my collection. It was really healthy and full when I purchased it, and it still is. I receive a tone of compliments about it when I have guests at my home,, and I always recommend that people purchase plants from Proven Winners. Every Proven Winners plant I’ve purchased or seen at local stores, are always healthier and fuller, than other brands of plants that are sold at Home Depot.
Mythic® Nessie Elephant Ear Alocasia x amazonica
Select any icon above to view the complete collection.
Learn more about Proven Winners® leafjoy® houseplants
12 - 18 Inches0 -0 -30cm - 46cm0cm0cm
This petite version of Alocasia is practically a sculpture. The waxy, deep green to near-black leaves with white veins are truly eye-catching. Other common names include 'African Mask', 'Polly', and “Dwarf Amazonica'. Species plants are native to the humid tropical rainforests, understory vegetation sites, and along streams or marshy places from India to Eastern Australia. Naturally, it needs temps between 60-80°F, high humidity, and well-draining soil to replicate its native environment. Alocasia is a heavy absorber of nutrients and needs low and slow fertilizers with every watering to thrive.Adaptable As HouseplantFoliage InterestHarmful To:Pets
CharacteristicsPlant Type:HouseplantHeight Category:ShortHeight:12 - 18 Inches 30cm - 46cmFoliage Colors:BlackFoliage Colors:GreenFoliage Shade:Dark green to near black leaves with white veins.Habit:UprightContainer Role:Thriller
Plant NeedsLight Requirement:Medium
Low - No direct sun, not near a window. Medium - Medium bright indirect light in the AM or PM, typically from an east or west window. High - Bright direct or indirect light for much of the day, typically from a south window.Maintenance Category:ModeratePreferred Temperature:60 - 85 °FWater Category:AverageHumidity Preference:HighContainer Soil Type:Indoor Potting MixNeeds Good DrainageUses:Bright SpacesUses:DesktopsUses:Humid SpacesUses Notes:
Not for human or animal consumption.Maintenance Notes:
- For optimal performance, keep your Alocasia at 60-85°F (15-29°C). Alocasias are sensitive to cold drafts and temperatures below 60°F (15°C), which can cause leaf drop and diminished growth.
- Alocasias perform best in bright, indirect light or filtered sunlight. Avoid placing them in direct sunlight, as it can lead to leaf scorch.
- Alocasias appreciate higher humidity, so break out that humidifier. Alternatively, you can mist your Alocasia or place it on a pebble tray with water.
- Alocasias prefer to be consistently moist, but not wet, and above all, they need to have good drainage. As such, water your Alocasia thoroughly when the top inch of soil feels dry. Ensure good drainage and do not allow your Alocasia to sit in water, as they are susceptible to root rot.
- Feed your Alocasia once per month at half strength when it is actively growing. In the winter, it may go into a dormant state and not put out many leaves. If no new leaves are growing, it does not need to be fertilized.
- Protect furniture when watering & fertilizing.
- Alocasias appreciate a chunky, well-aerated soil. You can use an all-purpose potting mix, with additional orchid bark and perlite added to ensure your Alocasia has good drainage and plenty of nutrients.
- If your Alocasia drops its leaves, don't give up! They grow from bulb-like corms and can sprout new leaves under the right conditions. These plants like very consistent conditions, overall, when it comes to watering, temperature, and light, and they need to have good drainage.
514321Browse reviews from people who have grown this plant.
15 More in this series
Melissa Johnson, Tennessee, United States, 19 weeks ago