Living Lace™ Davana Blue Star fern Phlebodium aureum
Select any icon above to view the complete collection.
Learn more about Proven Winners® leafjoy™ houseplants
Low - No direct sun, not near a window. Medium - Medium bright indirect light in the AM or PM, typically from an east or west window. High - Bright direct or indirect light for much of the day, typically from a south window.
Davana produces distinctly ruffled, scalloped, arching fronds that form a full, robust clump. The evergreen leaves emerge light green and develop a powdery blue-green patina as they age. Yellow-orange spore cases decorate the undersides of the fronds. Like most rabbit's foot ferns, this plant is an epiphyte with a creeping habit. Furry rhizomes branch out from the base and produce new leaves.Adaptable As HouseplantFoliage InterestHarmful To:Pets
CharacteristicsPlant Type:HouseplantHeight Category:MediumHeight:10 - 14 InchesFoliage Colors:BlueFoliage Colors:GreenFoliage Shade:Light green maturing to blue-greenHabit:MoundedContainer Role:Filler
Plant NeedsLight Requirement:LowLight Requirement:MediumMaintenance Category:ModeratePreferred Temperature:60 - 85 °FWater Category:WetHumidity Preference:HighContainer Soil Type:Indoor Potting MixNeeds Good DrainageUses:DesktopsUses:Epiphyte (a plant that attaches itself to another plant for support)Uses:Humid SpacesUses:Low Light SpacesUses Notes:
Not for human or animal consumption.Maintenance Notes:
- For optimal performance, keep at 60-85°F (15-29°C).
- Prefers higher humidity to prevent leaf edges from browning.
- Feed once per month at half strength when plant is actively growing.
- Protect furniture when watering.
- Never allow potting mix to dry out completely. This can rapidly cause many brown leaf edges. Water as soon as the surface of the potting mix feels mostly dry.
- Use a well-drained potting mix. Adding some perlite will be beneficial and improve drainage.
- This fern thrives in bright, indirect light and high humidity environments. It tends to be fairly easy to grow indoors in bathrooms and other humid spaces.
2 More in this series