I have Adonis Blue growing next to buddleia Pink Delight. While Adonis Blue does attract some butterflies, Pink Delight is covered with them.
English Butterfly™ Adonis Blue™ Butterfly Bush Buddleia davidii
- Hardy Zones
- 5 - 9
- Mature Size
- 48 - 60 Inches
This variety is no longer available; we suggest Pugster® Blue butterfly bush as a replacement. It is slightly smaller, but offers the same rich blue blooms and fantastic fragrance.
Great Flowering shrub for landscapes, perennial gardens. Attracts butterflies and hummingbirds.
Finally, colorful buddleia varieties that won't crowd their neighbors! Roughly a third the size of other butterfly bush varieties, the English Butterfly Series plants are extra bushy and loaded with colorful flowers.
Adonis Blue has deep blue flowers of good size and with a delightful fragrance.
The compact size of these new cultivars is perfect for smaller gardens and the mixed border. They can also be used as a container plant in milder climates.
Cold, wet winters can be really hard on buddleia, so here are a few tips to help your buddleia thrive in your garden:
1. Make sure the soil is well-drained. That place where the plow truck dumps snow in the winter? Not a good idea.
2. Full sun. That's at least 6 hours. No cheating.
3. Plant early in the season. This gives the plants all summer and fall to establish. Fall planting can be chancy in northern regions.
4. Wait until it leafs out in spring before pruning. In some years you may have to prune it back to the ground. After milder winters, maybe not so much. Avoid fall pruning.
- Russell StudebakerConnecticutUnited States6 years ago
I loved its many blooms, beautiful color, and its reasonable size.lynda griffithVirginiaUnited States6 years ago
Love it!Marilyn B. GruaKentuckyUnited States6 years ago
It was beautiful at first then all the leaves started dropping off. I cut back and hope it will come back. I was very disappointed.Christine GrimesMarylandUnited States6 years ago
- Russell StudebakerOntarioCanada6 years ago